Tuesday, June 23, 2009

paycuts and furloughs and layoffs Oh My!

One would hope that I add something to the world- be it good, bad, or indifferent- Me

We just got the first of what I'm sure will be numerous official letters about the upcoming Paycuts, possible furloughs and additional layoffs. So far we've had none of the above actually happen, but I'm positive that they will.

Since I work for a public university all of this information is public, and there has been LOTS of talk about it:

http://chronicle.com/news/article/6668/u-of-california-faculty-and-staff-members-could-face-8-pay-cut

For the record of this article, it's not the best one about the possible paycuts, but it is a public source. I'd also like to point out that I don't think I'm grossly overpaid. I think I'm paid okay, but it sucks that for the time I will work here I can never even think about getting a raise... I can barely contemplate getting cost of living. I can basically get 2% for the rest of my life, and now, they are going to take away the 2% everyone has earned for the last 4 years.... that sucks.

In this proposal that they sent out there were lots of interesting options. Option 1, just take away our money and we keep working the way we are. Option 2, they give us unpaid leave to make up for the $ they are taking. Option 3, they give us some unpaid leave, and make up the rest in a straight paycut.

Who in there right mind would say, "ah, just give me the paycut... that's cool..."

I've taken up event management gigs on the side to try to get a little extra cash flow. And my dad has decreased my rent by 1/5th to help cover the money I'm loosing. But no, I'm still not buying the expensive mustard. In fact, I'm barely getting by.


Print Page

No comments: