Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Tip Tuesday: The measure of success?

A friend passed along the following quote, an old Swedish proverb, she thinks. I think it makes a good tip:

"Fear less, hope more.
Eat less, chew more.
Whine less, breathe more.
Talk less, say more.
Love more, and all good things will be yours."

As with all helpful tips, it's so hard to actually apply them to everyday life. We are so set in our ways sometimes, aren't we?
Though I have to say that Randomgirl one of the people I have seen most actively (and successfully) incorporate new ways of working into her life. To tell the truth, I'm a bit jealous.

I've been reading a book called Animal, Vegetable, Miracle that is the story of a family that decided to only eat locally grown foods for one year. It talks principally about the importance (and relative ease) of eating locally grown food as a way of helping your local economy, cutting down on oil and gasoline waste, and generally living a healthier lifestyle. It's funny, but I'd never really considered the amount of gas and energy involved in getting a tomato in January (a lot of produce in winter is trucked up from South America, which I guess makes total sense but I'd never really considered it), so the book provided a few good moments of reflection. There's all this talk about "oil addiction", and it's interesting to think that while we're all trying to cut back on our personal use of energy we could easily help by not picking up a bunch of bananas at the grocery store.

So I suppose that's my other tip to you: Check around and see if there's a farmer's market nearby (August is a great month to get all sorts of surprisingly cheap local produce) and help out the small businesses in your region. In my case, it turns out there was one only a few blocks away from my apartment every Tuesday and Friday, and really if there's a market in my neighbourhood there's bound to be one in yours too. I got local, organic onions, basil, and tomatoes cheaper than if I'd walked just a few blocks down to the enormous grocery store on the corner. So get out there while the weather''s nice and flip the bird to Safeway, Pathmark, and the GEagle by buying a tasty, locally grown zucchini or tomato for your dinner this week!

making a seriously good pasta sauce,
-Misha

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh jeez, the quote is there I swear; for some reason it didn't turn out the right colour!

"Fear less, hope more.
Eat less, chew more.
Whine less, breathe more.
Talk less, say more.
Love more, and all good things will be yours."

Maybe it's just fate's way of saying there are no easy answers, you have to look hard for the good advice. :)

-Misha

Raising Them Jewish said...

Here in Israel, the fruit and veggies are almost all local...the whole country is less than 11 miles wide (okay that's the shortest distance from water to west bank) but...

There are shukes, great markets and every friday they drop the prices and practically give the food away... I think I will miss cucumber and tomato salad...