Monday, August 6, 2007

Randomguy's post: Readership up by 1, minimum

Since I'm sending this post by email, I guess I shouldn't use any words that would flag my message as being dangerous to the country. Yikes, I've got to say I'm a little taken aback by the way the new-and-terrifyingly-improved FISA just sailed on through; first they track my money transfers and now they're reading my email and tapping my phone ("legally" this time).

Today was also the anniversary of the bombing of Hiroshima, and I didn't realise that until less than an hour ago. I feel like a bit of a jerk for not knowing: It's certainly one of the events that changed how everyone everywhere saw the world and I'm always amazed at the small amount of coverage (and criticism of militarization) it garners annually in the media. I worked at a performing arts camp for a number of summers, and each year we would make the traditional origami paper cranes that represent peace, and have a moment of silence to remember the one (and and sadly not the only) time a nuclear weapon has been used, and on a civilian population to boot. I sincerely hope that we don't have to experience a nuclear conflict ever, but with so many itchy fingers... Incidentally, those American reporters should really stop annoying the President of France on his vacation, and for the love of G-d would the politicians please stop talking about invading Pakistan!?

As I was walking around downtown today I heard a crow, which struck me as odd. How could a crow overpower all the ambulances and traffic? As I looked around I saw a man dressed quite normally with the exception of a large hat, from which sprouted a number of large feathers. He was making bird calls over the traffic, pausing for several seconds between each, and startling the urbanites as they walked past. The really funny thing is that he sounded very realistic. I started to think about what he was doing: It's easy to dismiss him as a nut (and really, odds are he was), but the act of forcibly injecting an incongruously loud "natural" cry over the mechanical and electronic noise of the city made me think about the relationship we have with nature, how it's funny that only through someone's active participation (those us us stuck in the concrete jungle anyway) that we remember it's out there.

I live in a predominantly black neighbourhood, and when I moved here I initially felt very, very apprehensive. In previous city I lived there were very few black people: the majority of times I saw a black person was on TV, and a lot of TV paints black people (particularly black youths) in a very negative light. The population in my city is more than 50% asian, and it was interesting for me to notice that I was more comfortable being the minority there than here. Over the past year I was periodically shocked at the realisation of the depth of my own ignorance about black people and black culture, and the utterly silly stereotypes that were running around in my head. Not to say I'm an expert on black culture by any means, but it's nice to know I've knocked some prejudices into the trash can, and to feel comfortable in my own neighbourhood again. Anyways, I was walking home from the subway the other night and there was this rather large black guy walking in front of me, about 15 yards ahead. He was wearing a uniform of some kind, maybe a postal worker, I'm not sure. It became clear after a while that we were walking the same route to similar destinations, and he was aware of my being there because the street was quiet and he checked over his shoulder a couple of times when he heard me there. I guess I'd been following him for a few minutes when he quickly looked over his shoulder at me, then took off full-tilt running. He ran until he was out of sight, and I couldn't help but think that this was kind of funny: of all the people who would, stereotypically have to be worried about walking in my neighbourhood at night it's the short white guy... and besides, he was about 6'2 and had at least 50 lbs on me. 

I guess that's been pretty random, hasn't it? Don't fret, if I remember correctly there's only only one more post from me and then Randomgirl will be back!

-Misha

No comments: