Friday, October 26, 2007

Interesting Job Review

One would hope that I add something to the world- be it good, bad, or indifferent- Me

So I had my '6-month' into the year review with my Big Boss 'BB' today. I'm not exactly sure what to say about it. For one thing, it was supposed to be about an hour, it was almost two.

I feel a little better about my potential within the work environment. If the suggestions I made and the thoughts I had are actually looked at reasonably, things may take a good, positive turn. I'm never sure how to handle these things... I want to look good, but I also want to be honest about the problems I see and the issues I think need to get resolved.

I sort of feel like I'm back at the beginning of Freshman year. As much as I think subject matter wise I'm ready to move on; I sort of think that maybe allowing this to be the training ground for me to improve my inter-personal skills and sort of work through all those 'first-job' issues may be worth it.

I could be totally dedicated to getting my masters degree. I really do think I've picked the right program, and if I'm here for an additional 3-4 years, I'm sure that I can complete the degree.

Am I totally in love with what I do now...no.
Am I totally in love with the people I work with....no.
Am I totally in love with Pasadena/LA....yes.
Am I totally in love with my hours...no.
Am I totally in love with the university....maybe.

So, where does that leave me? There are certainly more no's than yes's. Is it a bad idea to decide that you want to work somewhere so you can learn something? Is it bad to decide that I want to be here to get my masters? Is it bad that I really don't like some of my co-workers?

Thoughts?


Print Page

2 comments:

Gridley said...

I think it is a very good thing to have a job where you are learning. I've never had a job where I liked all my co-workers; I assume you like some of them?

David said...

I've never been one for the pluses and minuses thing.

When you have to go in do you not want to? When you're there do you want to hide under your desk? When you get to work, do you sit in the car and wait before going in?

Yeses there are sure fire signs it's time to start looking. Work is different than school, and exercise, you don't necessarily want to feel the burn.