Monday, December 3, 2007

Are we headed for the destruction of the US as a world power?

One would hope that I add something to the world- be it good, bad, or indifferent- Me

Anyone who knows me knows that just the title of this little blog post is quite out of character. I will be the first to admit that 90% of the time I just don't care about politics, the world-scene, etc. Okay, it's not that I don't **care** it's that I don't care as much as I think I should.

I was driving into work today and I couldn't help but think about the opening scene of Children of Men. The destruction of the entirety of civilization, where people live in fear and the nice 'society' that we've created doesn't actually exist. The end of the human race, and all we can do about it is kill each other.

There has been so much talk about Global warming. I'm not about to say that I don't believe in global warming, because I do, I just don't know if I believe that we are the only cause. This fear of global warming, and idea of a second great depression in the US with oil prices becoming fixed to something other than the dollar, the impending doom of America because of Facebook and MySpace and the fact that the youth of America would rather play a video game than baseball.

Perhaps these things are far beyond my viewpoint, and where I should be looking at things, but I guess I'm just saying that I'm worried.

I'm worried about the trees for my children
I'm worried about the World War III and all the bombs that can go off
I'm worried about America never regaining it's 'good guy' status
I'm worried about the proliferation of hate and violence throughout society
I'm worried that there is nothing I can do about it




Print Page

1 comment:

Gridley said...

People have been saying "the sky is falling" "the end is near" for a looonngg time. I think a lot of what we see today is that it is easier for such people to be heard by a mass audience, and, of course, more total people on earth, thus a larger percentage of doomsayers.

This isn't to say that the doomsayers are all wrong, but the signal to noise ratio is, as always, very low indeed.