Monday, January 14, 2008

World Press Photo Contest exhibit

One would hope that I add something to the world- be it good, bad, or indifferent- Me

The USC Annenberg School is hosting the World Press Photography Contest exhibit this week. It is quite an occasion, with there being only about two stops in the US. If you have the chance to see it, I recommend it.

I'm thrilled with the Photo of the Year. It's here, if you haven't seen it. It's such a dynamic photo. The richness and horror in that convertible in contrast to the destruction and horror all around. I love the girl taking photos with her camera. It puts the whole country of Lebanon in a new perspective for so many people. Technologically advanced, western, and not an image of ridiculous extreme ideas. Of course those who are looking at the World Press photos probably saw Anthony Bourdain's excursions there during the war... but hey..

I keep getting a little annoyed by going through this exhibit. There are so many awesome photos, and not all the categories require a war scene. There are sports categories, entertainment, nature, portraits, etc. One of my favorites from the exhibit was this series, which is so great. I love the gumption of these women. Hell yeah! I get annoyed, however, because there are so many pictures depicting war scenes.

yes, I realize there are a lot of wars going on. But I think it's the presses job, at least in some ways, to balance their reporting. To accurately tell a story. The World Press winners certainly don't balance anything. If I have to look at more photos depicting Israel as the 'bitch' of the world, I'm going to get very frustrated.

I get it, I really do. From a world-view perspective, and also from a photographer making money perspective. In Israel there is a bomb on the roads and a day later (or an hour in a lot of cases) it's cleaned up and the world is moving on. Compare that to the West Bank, Gaza, or Lebanon and there is just a higher percentage of getting a great shot in these areas. So I get it, it makes sense for them to take their photos there. But really, it's not so black and white- good and evil as these photos sometimes show.

The other set of photos that really struck me was this series about soccer players. I can't believe that I live in a world where there are enough one-legged amputees playing soccer that there can even be a tournament. Let alone an All-African tournament. They believe that they can make a career out of this- That there are enough people to play and watch. What does that say about our current world climate...

One last photo to mention. I have never seen a woman more stoic on her wedding day... this woman has so much strength, I can't even imagine it. The love she must feel, and the existence of her life. Instantly I have so much to think/say about her. At the same time I'm wondering why it is that we can't have done a better job for this soldier. We can increase and decrease a woman's breast, but we can't do more to give this man a nose, an ear or a glass eye? I get the bald thing... still... where are the American people for this one...

On a personal note: I resigned my first job today. It went better than I thought it would. I negotiated a great situation, and I'm psyched to start my new gig.

Print Page

No comments: