Thursday, February 14, 2008

Money Money Money Money....Money

One would hope that I add something to the world- be it good, bad, or indifferent- Me

Money Money Money Money.... Money.

It's funny how much money affects our lives. And how often we think about it, talk about it, and consider it when making plans and decisions.

I am a person, and those of you who know me can agree, who epitomizes the idea of the 'cheap' jew. I save money like it is going out of style. At my new job I have divided my pay check three ways, into two different savings accounts. I am a person who knows how much money she has, and strives to keep a balance of $ in and $ out.

There are other people, like my sister. She has no real concept of savings. She can overdraw her account on $1.35 cup of coffee. Interestingly enough, she also spends money like there is no tomorrow. She's trying to plan for her wedding, and yet spending thousands on yoga. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but I don't know that it's the best in terms of 'fiscal policy.'

It occured to me today, again, that not everyone has a storage of $ the way that I do. That there are some who work hard, and live (in essence) paycheck to paycheck.

Why is $ such an important part of relationships. When people are intimate, why is $ a problem? Does it matter who pays for what? Making dinner can be just as expensive as a movie for two... Should how much $ a man or woman has affect your decision to marry them? What about their ability to make $?

Why do people think that they need to be so far along their 'life path' before they can commit to something, or someone...

Print Page

1 comment:

Gridley said...

I think our culture considers money, or the things money can buy, as a measure of your progress towards success. I think this is a sign of a sick culture.

Money is important to me, but as a means, not an end. For one thing, having a comfortable amount of cash on hands means I don't have to stress about eating dinner out, or buying a DVD.

I think a lot of the keeping track of money in relationships comes from the percentage of divorces and breakups. People see/here about someone getting screwed in a divorce, and it makes them more careful with 'their' stuff.