Thursday, June 7, 2007

Creating a blogging community: Traditions

So...I have decided to try to become part of the blogging community. As such, I am entering the 'Write-Away' Contest found here: http://scribbit.blogspot.com/2007/06/write-away-contest-for-june.html

I'm new to all this sexy posting, but I'm trying:

Traditions: I'm not a mom, I don't have a permanent place to live, a family or even only one address (yes, I still have a large portion of my mail going to my parents house). How then can I have any traditions? Well, suprisingly enough, I think that I do. Traditions are just another word for things you do often that have special meaning- things you do because they make you feel good, they make you think, they add something to your life.

I'm not a good cook, so it's suprised me that one of my true traditions has been cupcake baking. I guess many consider baking and cooking as seperate beasts, but to me, they are one in the same. Each month (usually related to the holiday or 'feeling' of the month) I bake a ridiculous amount of cupcakes. I've been doing really well. About 40 cupcakes per batch, and I bring them all over the world. The homeless guys on the street, my soccer team, my office, my roommates (old and new). I'm pleased with this tradition...how can a tradition with sugar be a bad thing?

I've tried to capitalize on other family traditions- every Passover I think very specifically about my parents; their love for me, and hopes for my future. Coming together for Jewish holidays is a tradition I not only love, but deperately want to embrace. So far, no luck on convincing the family to come out to LA for a Holiday at my house- but having my friends over and imitating the concept (albeit with more wine) has been pretty successful.

I am amazed at how many traditions my parents have impressed upon me. The fact that every year we not only have, but actually attend the 'family reunion' when me and my sister are the only people under the age of thirty? The fact that under no circumstances would it be acceptable for a member of my family to miss a holiday. I LOVE knowing that out of my extended family- my whole nucleus (sister, mom, dad and me) will DEFINITELY be there. That we will not only be there, but be spirited, happy and excited about whatever family event is close at hand.

It also occurs to me in this very strange and rambling post how many things I do that have become traditions. I have spent the last 5 years with Matthew's (my ex-boyfriend) family for July4th. What about this year? Making that change to not being with him, to not celebrating those moments with him? I remember the first time he brought me...the feeling of specialness I got from his not only inviting me, but showing me off. Is it wrong that though we are broken up I still want to cling to that tradition? That I miss making eggs at 2am with my ex-roommate, and our weekly 11pm tea on Thursday night?

Here's to being 22, living on your own, and starting your own traditions! The little things that make this insane and unknowable world a little better- a little less tragic. To traditions that may not be long tested, but have certainly started to spread a little joy, happiness and love in multiple directions!

5 comments:

Scribbit said...

Yes, creating your own traditions makes you feel legitimate and independent too I think.

Good luck, thanks for entering.

Anonymous said...

Hi Izz. Come visit this summer.
-deano

Raising Them Jewish said...

Hey Deano! Yeah more people reading my blog! I'm totally headed that direction- when's the next bonfire?

I'm going to go down to mexico for lobster some weekend...

Gridley said...

OK, I held out as long as I could...

Tradition! Tradition! (Cue music from Fiddler on the Roof...)

Seriously, any ritual (and I think most traditions are rituals to a greater or lesser extent) means what you put into it. If the ritual is a positive experiance for the participants, than it is a good thing.

Daisy said...

Baking and cooking are definitely two different categories. I'm good at baking, but not so good at the cooking end.