Tuesday, June 19, 2007

STd's STI's and other not so great things

So last night one of the guys I've been dating told me that he has HPV. We haven't gotten any where near having sex; but it was sort of disturbing to hear. For the first time in my life I felt happy that I have always been extremely comfortable talking about sex, STD's and making sure that the people I engage with are not only clean, but telling the truth about such a status.

Now I'm in the awkward position of deciding whether or not I even want to attempt to engage with a man who has an STD...? HPV is a tricky one. It's not curable, condoms have not been proven as a method of protection; and then, of course, there is the new HPV vaccine (which takes 6 months to get).

My father and I were once discussing Indecent Proposal. That movie where a millionaire offers money to a couple if he can sleep with the wife. We discussed what I would do in that situation. My dad would totally go for it. The only thing I could think of was "has he been tested for STD's" My dad thought that this response was not only odd, but oddly sad. That the only thing I was really concerned with was the fact that my generation is dealing with a whole new level of STD's that his generation didn't even consider....

Apparently my nervous existence isn't always a bad thing...unfortunatley it might have turned out to be one of the best questions I've ever asked.

5 comments:

Gridley said...

First, I think that it is a really good thing that you're comfortable talking about sex. I'm sure that it will continue to benefit you in the future.

I remember seeing a trailer for Boogie Nights, hearing the line about "when sex was safe" and thinking, "Gee, I wonder what that was like?"

Generally, though, I worry about pregnancy first, relationship impact second, and STDs third. Of course, I've always been more high-risk than anyone I might have sex with, which undoubtably skews my priorities.

will said...

where's the part about sti's? i want some turbo-whinin, all-wheel-drive, ludicrous-spoilered action...

Raising Them Jewish said...

Will- WHAT? STI's in this case meant sexually transmitted infection... turbo what?

will said...

http://www.iwsti.com/

"the largest sti community on the internet"

will said...

not to be confused with:

http://www.stidatingclub.com/