Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Do I really have anything worthwhile to say...perhaps I just think I'm a Martha Stewart

I'm going to make a REAL ATTEMPT at Tip Tuesday. All of my previous tuesday posts have really just been a continuation of my own dripple.

Here goes:

Work Tips:

1. Use the fact that you are about to go on vacation to your advantage. It gives you the ability to be unreliable, unavailable, and at the same time, a little bitchy. And, no one will remember by the time you return!

2. Take home the pens, the pencils, some of the coffee if you're really running low. They steal enough of your soul to owe you a stinking blue pen...

3. However, this isn't Office Space, so leave the copier, the fax machine, and, probably, the stapler...

4. Take every opportunity to convince the people you work for that they need to throw a celebration. Someone's leaving....they've only worked there for a week..WHO CARES! They deserve a party too!

5. ProCards are such a gift. As much as I WANT to tell you to use them for evil... don't. That's your name on that card...

6. LinkedIn. I don't know how many of you have heard of this place, but it's a good way to strike up conversations. Like the one I've started with the HOTT Morrocan Jew working in the law school....

7. Don't forget how to look busy. There are lots of ways to keep the fingers typing. Even a few ways to keep the fingers typing while making extra cash. My favorites are Ebay, and writing commissioned romance stories. I want to use the P-word, but I don't want my blog coming up in realtion to a search like that...

8. Well- don't quit. Whenever you see people in the movies who are about to get fired...they all seem to quit. If you quit you probably won't be able to get unemployment. If you are able to, you will have to make a case for yourself. Which means long lines and lots of conversations...


Okay- what do you think about my Tip Tuesday...they're real tips.... Of course they have NOTHING to do with what I thought I would write about. Maybe Mike or James will do a better job.

1 comment:

Gridley said...

You write commissioned romance stories?

Well, I can top that - one of my co-workers recently quit, and I snagged his LAPTOP. So there. :-)