Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Susie Homemaker

Last night I spent a blissful night in my apartment. I cooked some dinner, cleaned up my house, decorated more, and really had an awesome chill evening.

While attempting to cook dinner, Ratatouille from this recipie: http://almostturkish.blogspot.com/2007/07/baked-ratatouille-frnda-ratatouille.html

It started out when I found this recipie on 52 cupcakes, another blog I read. I thought it looked so good, and was such a great idea, I couldn't help myself. I went to the Grocery store during my lunch break. Unfortunatley I didn't quite realize that "Italian Sqaush" and zuchinni were the same thing, so I left.

When I got home I went to the Pavillions and found NO Yellow Squash. Then I had to run across the street to the Wild Oats and was finally able to buy the last 2 squashs they had left! YEAH! So I rushed home after I read the recipie- realizing that the whole thing took almost 1 hour to bake. WOW!

So I ran home and started cutting. I have to admit that at this moment the only thing I really wanted was my mothers quick veggie cutter. All of my pieces were of different sizes. As they would say on "Top Chef" my knife skills could use A LOT of work! I also really wished, once I started cutting, that I had decided to use Roma Tomatoes. The "small" tomatoes that I used were not quite the right size. But, never-the-less I pressed on.

I was supposed to make my own sauce, but without a food processor and no desire to cut so many vegetables, I bought jarred sauce. So, I arranged them all pretty in a bowl and shuffed them in the oven. I have to admit that at this moment in time I really wished that I had more time. I was starving, and it started to smell really good.

I think it turned out rather nicely. Not nearly as "nice" as I wanted it to look...as Top Chef says, it's a lot about style...but it sure tasted good. None of the distinct WOW flavors I was looking for...but that's what happens when you don't want to buy spices.

Needless to say, a good experience. I am planning on taking a few cooking classes, YEAH KNIFE SKILLS! So, when I invite you to a dinner at my house- think positive!

No comments: