Friday, July 13, 2007

Taking the leap

The "Write-Away" contest for July is about Adventure. So....here goes...

My sophomore year of High School I was preparing to take my first trip abroad without my parents. By this point in time I had been to several different countries, and had a fair amount of experience in traveling. None-the-less I was not only excited, but nervous about this trip. It took place over Easter weekend, and by some fluke of the lunar calendar I was going to miss my favorite holiday at my parents house: Passover.

I was going on this trip to see Theatre in London. All the girls with me were Christians, and, though there had been some discussion, no one had been planning on attending any type of religious services. So, before I went, I told myself that it would be okay to miss services, to miss the holiday and that I would be fine. Oh how wrong I was...

For those of you unfamiliar with Passover, the holiday is one based around a large festive meal at home, surrounded by loved ones and friends. The basis of the holiday is the exodus from Egypt and the story of Moses. Each Jew is supposed to 're-tell' the story every year, to adhere to the concept that each of us was set free from Egypt. It happens to be my favorite holiday- mostly because asking questions, staying up late and discussing things are what this holiday is all about. It takes place on two nights, only one in Israel, but two everywhere else.

The first night of Passover, as I sat in the audience for Blood Brothers, I couldn't help but be distracted. I'm not even sure that I knew it was passover, but somehow I just knew. I couldn't concentrate on the show and when it ended was unable to participate in any of the discussion. I thought I was getting sick. As I start walking back with the group we pass through this residential community. We're walking along, and all of a sudden the front door right in front of me opens. There's laughter and I stand, waiting, watching for someone to leave. I hear the distant sounds of a prayer...they are inviting Elijah into their home. I stand there for so long, just listening, tears forming in my eyes. The group has passed me, and for a brief moment I am standing alone on the street.

A little girl, no older than 7 comes to the front door, looking, waiting, and lays her eyes on me. She smiles at me; I at her. Her father comes to the door to call her back in and follows her eyes to where they have landed on me. He sees me, and we have a brief moment together. My group comes back around the corner to find me. As I hurry to join them, I stop at the door, meet his eyes and wish him a happy Pesach. He smiles, comes down the stairs and greets me with a hug.

Needless to say my friends start running, afraid that this man is going to abduct me or something. They get to us, and me and this man, Joe, start to laugh. I try to explain the situation, what has happened and why it has made me feel so connected to the world, but nothing works. He invites me into his home for the rest of the meal, and encourages me to come back tomorrow night. Though I am tempted, the chaperone's on my trip decide that it isn't such a good idea.

Though I only had a brief moment and a hug- I will never forget the feelings in my heart. The gratitude I felt at his generosity, and the way that G-d works throughout the world. I only hope that next year in Jerusalem I find him and his family.

http://scribbit.blogspot.com/2007/07/julys-write-away-contest.html

2 comments: