Sunday, September 9, 2007

Harrasment Video- showing me interesting ways to get fired from work...

One would hope that I add something to the world- be it good, bad, or indifferent- Me

At my place of employment I had to undergo an online harassment training course. As many people have said to me "know I know how to harass people." My take on it is "Now I know some interesting ways to get fired."

Apparently if I started writing on this blog things about a 'protected characteristic' of a co-worker, I could get fired. Even if I never sign on to my blog at work; mention it at work; or show it to ANY of my colleagues. I'm not really sure how someone could find it then, but if they did, I could get fired.

WOW! Talk about infringement on my freedom of speech. If I want to complain about my Jewish co-workers online, I should be able to!

I'm also not allowed to call any of my female co-workers witches. That is a derogatory phrase relating to the protected characteristic of gender. However, if you call all the guys witches and the girls devils, I think you're okay!

It didn't go into what happens if the woman in question admits she's a witch....

Interesting things the Harassment course taught me:
  1. Use opposite phrases to insult people.
  2. If you can convince everyone else in the office that what you did wouldn't offend a 'reasonable' person, you're in the clear!
  3. Repercussions: you can file a harassment claim against someone, and even if it's not proven you can still get them in trouble for repercussions!
  4. When in doubt you are supposed to talk to a superior. Even before disciplining one of your own workers.
  5. If you date someone in the office, everyone else can claim that they have been negatively affected.
  6. In CA, gender preference is a protected characteristic. In LA, AIDS is one, and in San Fran height and weight are. So, in LA I can make fun of your weight, but not in San Fran!

These are just a few of the more interesting things taught to me by the harassment course.

Don't you love mandatory training like this!

Print Page

1 comment:

will said...

it's actually not an infringement of freedom of speech at all. they're not going to jail you for bad mouthing your co-workers, just fire you. that's pretty fortunate, as well, considering how many people in the entertainment industry work "at will" and can be let go at any time with no reason given.