Thursday, September 13, 2007

To many questions, not enough self-esteem

One would hope that I add something to the world- be it good, bad, or indifferent- Me

I'm writing a paper about the use of Facebook on college campuses. How administrators are using facebook to get students in trouble; how employers are using it to research prospective employees...it's all got me thinking...and a little bit nervous.

So, with that in mind, I'm going to complain about emotions, and attempt to make it seem like these problems don't apply to me...

Tonight I went to dinner at my cousin's house. He was supposed to have a few friends, in addition to me, come over for dinner. However, these people didn't show up. He was left feeling annoyed, and friend-less. Expressing these feelings, it seems like there are moments in life when everyone feels friend-less. Like everyone else in the world is out there hanging out with their wonderful friends, and you can only go through facebook to make sure nothing to incriminating can be found...

Eh- who am I kidding. I went to Israel with a bunch of people from the LA area specifically so I could continue to see and interact with these people. I know I've been working a lot; but I haven't SEEN ONE OF THEM! We had a great time in Israel; did I suddenly contract some terrible disease. I want these connections... I'm willing to work for them... I just can't figure out how to keep them alive.

I called old friends tonight, people I haven't talked to in a LONG time. To be honest, I'm not sure which situation is worse.

On a totally other note, I've made a New Year's Resolution. I am going to acknowledge and celebrate in some way every Jewish Holiday. Now, mind you I didn't say I would celebrate properly. In fact, I'm pretty sure I won't. I think acknowledging the holidays is the first step... so, wish me LUCK!

On a second totally random note, I do not understand the 'book of life' versus the 'book of death.' Apparently you get inscribed into a book on Rosh Hashanah, and on Yom Kippur the books are sealed. We chant and sing about how specific G-d defines your death...by water, by fire, by etc... How can he be so specific without removing the free will you have with your life?

Another question for you avid readers... What were your New Year's Resolutions (from any New Year you want), and are you still achieving them?

Print Page

3 comments:

Gridley said...

I almost never hold onto my new years resolutions for the entire year. I frequently manage a few months.

In some cases this is because they are too ambitious, more often it is because I slack off on them.

will said...

i was under the impression that was generally the point of God: if you have God there is no need for free will because life is predestined. i can't imagine how stressful it would be if i were held responsible fore everything i do.

Raising Them Jewish said...

Interesting thought Will: Hmm... the Jewish concept is that there is definitely Free Will. We're not really into that whole living this life for the next idea...

Do you really think that life is predestined...? I think that would be particularly sad.