Friday, October 5, 2007

Banned Books Week: Free People Read Freely

One would hope that I add something to the world- be it good, bad, or indifferent- Me

I have to start this post by stating that I didn't realize that we really had 'banned books.' But apparently we not only have them, we have enough of them to support a Banned Books Week. I wonder if it is just coincidence that this week falls in part over the National Coming Out week....just wondering...

So, to honor, here is the list of the top 10 books Banned in 2006, and the top 10 most banned books in the country. How many have you read?

Top 10 in 2006:

  1. "And Tango Makes Three" by Justin Richardson and Peter Parnell, for homosexuality, anti-family, and unsuited to age group;
  2. "Gossip Girls" series by Cecily Von Ziegesar for homosexuality, sexual content, drugs, unsuited to age group, and offensive language;
  3. "Alice" series by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor for sexual content and offensive language;
  4. "The Earth, My Butt, and Other Big Round Things" by Carolyn Mackler for sexual content, anti-family, offensive language, and unsuited to age group;
  5. "The Bluest Eye" by Toni Morrison for sexual content, offensive language, and unsuited to age group;
  6. "Scary Stories" series by Alvin Schwartz for occult/Satanism, unsuited to age group, violence, and insensitivity;
  7. "Athletic Shorts" by Chris Crutcher for homosexuality and offensive language;
  8. "The Perks of Being a Wallflower" by Stephen Chbosky for homosexuality, sexually explicit, offensive language, and unsuited to age group;
  9. "Beloved" by Toni Morrison for offensive language, sexual content, and unsuited to age group;
  10. "The Chocolate War" by Robert Cormier for sexual content, offensive language, and violence.

Unfortunately I'm loosing on this list. I haven't even heard of most of these- looks like I've got some reading to do.

Top 10 Banned Books:

I have to admit that I haven't found only one list. There is one here for 1990-2000, and one here for 2000-2005; but I decided to do out this list together from all the ones I've seen. Unfortunately there might not be anyone person who agrees with me, but here it is:

  1. The Great Gatsby
  2. The Catcher in the Rye
  3. The Grapes of Wrath
  4. To Kill a Mockingbird
  5. The Color Purple
  6. Ulysses
  7. Beloved
  8. Harry Potter (which is at the top of the 21st century list)
  9. The Giver
  10. Brave New World

I'm happy to say that I've read almost all of these books. Can anyone loan me Catcher in the Rye or Beloved?

Print Page

2 comments:

Gridley said...

Catcher in the Rye as a banned book? Salinger's Catcher in the Rye?

I read that in grade school! I found it boring, frankly, but offensive...? Why on earth would anyone ban it?

will said...

i guess 2 from the first list and about 8.5 from the second. i only ever read the first two harry potters.

and as for catcher in the rye, according to good old wikipedia "the novel remains controversial to this day for its liberal use of profanity and portrayal of sexuality and teenage angst;". i'm sorry you found it boring. i think salinger is one of the best writers, maybe ever.