Tuesday, January 8, 2008

My uncle died- and no one told me

One would hope that I add something to the world- be it good, bad, or indifferent- Me

I got an e-mail in my inbox today. I thought it was something morbid from my dad about some burial plots he bought because it was from a mortuary. It turned out to be the burial announcement of my uncle.

He died almost 3 weeks ago. The funeral already happened, as good Jewish funerals tend to happen. No one told me. I didn't get to go.

I feel like there is some explanation owed here. My Aunt is still legally married to my Uncle, but they have been separated for about 8 years or so- a very long time. Something ridiculous happened, but they remained married because my Uncle didn't care and my Aunt needed health insurance.

I loved my Uncle Jack. I really did. I can remember his smell, and the feeling of his hands. Spending time on the beach with him picking up cans. He's the closest thing to a grandfather I ever had.

When they separated initially I was so upset with my Aunt. I thought it was her fault, that she changed her mind. I was angry that I didn't get to see my Uncle anymore. It turns out it was completely his fault.

My Uncle cheated on my Aunt. My wonderful, beautiful, funny Aunt.

I was so excited, because I knew that my sister was going to invite him to her wedding, so I was going to see him next year. I guess not.

He died on my couch once. No, really. He had just had a quadruple bypass surgery and they put a pacemaker in him. His heart stopped, and the pacemaker brought him back to life.

I haven't thought about him in a while- I'm upset at myself for not caring as much as I think I should...and now he's gone and I didn't call him, and I didn't make the connection again.

You've never stopped being my Uncle. I love you, and I've missed you. I'm sorry I didn't call, but I love you very much.

Uncle Jack Levy
April 28, 1927 - December 21, 2007
All my love

No comments: