Tuesday, February 5, 2008

The story of my life

One would hope that I add something to the world- be it good, bad, or indifferent- Me

To much enthusiasm. That is the story of my life. Everyone says that enthusiasm is a good thing, until they meet me.

Today I had my first, you have to much enthusiasm, conversation with my boss. That's right, day 6. Woot! That must be a new record for me. Though, maybe not, because I think it happened that fast at CMU.

I thought that I had gotten better at this. At trying not to screw things up and make people upset at me. It's a ridiculous fine line between speaking up and giving advice, and shutting up and letting people do what they do.

My boss keeps telling me that I have the job, and that I don't need to worry about impressing people. Why can't I feel that way?

He said that someone thought I was 'butting into' meetings. Of course, ironically enough, it was his suggestion that I tag along to lots of meetings. Additionally he said that someone thought I had opinions in meetings I wasn't invited to. Well, I just don't know what to say.

Why do people think that you will get upset at the person who had negative thoughts about you? I need to know specifics. When did I interject an opinion I shouldn't have had? If you tell me more specifically, I can make sure I don't do it again.

I guess I'll just try NOT to have an opinion for the first month...

On another note, I had a GREAT night and an even better morning. At least the day started out well. Perhaps it was, in reality, one of those mornings when I shouldn't have left my bedroom.


Print Page

3 comments:

Gridley said...

I think there's some part of manager training which says that if you don't give your employees some criticism you're not doing your job, or something.

My manager says I don't have enough patience with people who aren't as smart as I am. Possibly true, but the only examples he's seen are with people HE can't communicate with either!

NEVER stop being passionate. Passion can lead to pain, but without people with passion we'd have nothing.

D Holcomb said...

There’s the Izzy we all grew so fond of here at CMU :) (was it really that hard here?)

Seriously, the appropriateness of your boss’s criticism aside, and I get what Gridley is saying, your mind moves at a lightning pace that many can’t keep up with. The trick when you are new on a job, you naturally want to strike a balance of appearing competent, without appearing to want to take over everyone’s job. That is of course unless you do want to take over everyone’s job, and don’t care that they know it. The downside of this posture is that people will feel threatened by you. This means they won’t be friendly, and may possibly engage in sabotage.

Your boss hired you, and obviously feels that you are competent, if he is bringing you to meetings, especially those that others don’t think you are not ready for. If you want to smooth your transition with your new colleagues, you may want to sit on your enthusiasm for a while, until people get more used to you. It’s not fair.

Your enthusiasm can really take over a room, and sometimes derail the intended path of the discussion. That makes all of the other people in the room have to participate more actively or get lost. I really enjoyed your enthusiasm. As a teacher it forced me to work harder. Some people don’t want to work that hard all of the time.

Keep thinking at your pace. However, you may want to filter your verbal output a little while you find your place within your organization.

Patience. I am sure you are doiong well, even if you are not sure you are yet.

Raising Them Jewish said...

Thanks for the thoughts guys. It's a challenge for me, and it probably will be for the rest of my life.

Patience is a virtue, one I just haven't quite mastered yet.