Friday, October 24, 2008

Political ideas seeping into everything

One would hope that I add something to the world- be it good, bad, or indifferent- Me

I love and hate this time of the year. When everywhere I look there is some other thought about the upcoming election. I love that more and more Americans appear to be getting involved every year. This may just be my personal perception, but it's one I really like. I love to see people holding signs, even if I don't believe in them. Having an opinion and using your vote to express it is an innately American ideal, and I'm proud that we are continuing this remarkable tradition.

On the flip side though, I hate it. I hate being surrounded by friends political ideas. I have to admit that there are relatively few things that I feel politically impassioned about. I have my opinions, and while I'm happy to share them, I don't ever feel the need to change some one's mind about their thoughts. I hate it when people tell me that 'I'm wrong.' As far as I can tell, political causes are still vastly about opinion. It's not fact we're debating when you tell me that homosexuals shouldn't get married... I don't mean to be calling light to CA's prop 8, but it seems to be the one confronting me most often. Every time I turn on the TV in my house, there is someone else there to make a snarky and highly inappropriate (in my opinion) comment on the people in the show who are depicted to be homosexual...or even curious.

I just have to say it. It is my opinion that you cannot believe that homosexuality is a choice and believe that you can label a man as gay because he appears to be so to you! You have to make a choice. Either, people are born gay and that means the man you see who is married with a child but appears gay to you is hiding or denying himself. -OR- you believe that you make a choice and then someone who hasn't "made" that choice is not gay.

Yes, I've said it. This is my opinion. I don't care which one you believe in ,but pick a side. I'm tired of people telling me that they don't like people because they perceive them to be gay, but then tell me that being gay is a choice. GRRR..

Okay. Back to the main point. I'm all for political awareness, but let's all remember that we want to be friends when the election ends and that it's all really about personal opinion.


Print Page

No comments: