Thursday, May 21, 2009

Spring

One would hope that I add something to the world- be it good, bad, or indifferent- Me

In traveling to Alaska I remembered a time when I used to read about an Alaskan mom... Scribbit. So, finding her page again I also found the 'write-away contests' http://scribbit.blogspot.com/2009/05/mays-write-away-contest-just-for-you.html

I really don't have that much of an interest in a Wii baseball prize, but I did think that Spring was a good thing to write about...

I remember the very first time I knew spring. For most people this age would be around 5 or 6 years old but for me, from sunny southern california, I experienced my first spring at 18 years old. That was the first time I remember going from a winter, where tank-tops just didn't work, to a spring where the sun came out. I remember getting up from my dorm room bunk that morning and feeling hot snuggled up in my comforter and blankets. I remember looking out the window and seeing a few tufts of grass on the formerly white lawn. I remember thinking how impossible it was going to be to find my tank-tops amid all the coats.

Walking outside I saw things I hadn't seen before. Girls in bikini's sitting on the concrete, men without shirts throwing around a frisbee...I thought they had all gone mad. It was still under 60 degrees, and impossibly cold to me. That, however, was the first moment that I recognized Spring.

Each week it got warmer and warmer, and I remember being so happy when the last of the snow fell away...


Print Page

No comments: